Followers

Friday, May 04, 2012

What we have here is a failure to communicate

I've been spending a fair amount of time at another blog for the last six to eight months, mikeb302000. The blog's author mikeb, does a great job of spotlighting the irrational and obsessive behavior of gunzloonz. His blog has drawn a lot of flak from the gunzloonz dysintelliegentsia and continues to do so.

There is a lot of mudslinging going on over there and I have no problem with that. Dealing with lying sociopaths makes it difficult to concentrate on pointed arguments (which are not, in any case, what they want).

For the last couple of months, mikeb has turned off moderation on his blog and I have to say it has not been a successful gambit. There are a number of commenters whose only purpose in coming to the blog is to flame people, anonymously, and act like the gutless clownz that they are. Since their purpose is to NOT have any sort of genuine discussion but to merely push their NRA and various other gunzloonz talking points it is a waste of time to read them, or respond.  It's not that reading their comments is hard or particularly painful, it is that they say nothing that they haven't said a thousand times before. And, every time they say it they offer nothing in the way of support for their assertions.

As I said, on a thread here, a while back, you can insult me  and call me names, as long as you bring something to the table that ISN'T just your macho gunzloonz posturing. Considering that the majority of mikeb's commenter don't know how to do that I've decided to stop wasting my time there, unless he wants to turn moderation back on and, considering the number of "anonymi" that are commenting, a way of id'ing them.  I don't genuinely expect that these things will happen.

For the immediate future, sign-ins and moderating will be the rule of the day, here. If you've got something to say, have at it. If you're commenting anonymously and puking up the same tired NRA talking points that I've been reading at mikeb's for the last year or two, don't bother, they'll not be seeing the light of day.

I need to attend to business for the next few days; after that I'll be trying to put some stuff up.

Cheers

1 comment:

dog gone said...

I'm delighted to see some of my purple prose here Democommie, and as one of the people who encouraged you to come over to MikeB's blog, I feel like I owe you an apology for promising it would be fun. When the moderation was shut off, so was any fun; the tide of crap rose just too high, and never receded.

You and I aren't the only ones to feel that way -- and I am sad especially as I had provided a good share of the blog content, as well as done more than my fair share of the moderating so that comments wouldn't linger too long before being published.

But now I have the pleasure of reading your blog, and I hope you will enjoy more posts in the series 'armed while old and white, flabby and crabby', because it is inevitable there will be more candidates for it among the NRA crowd.