Followers

Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Empress' new clothes.

Let's see, John Edwards' $400 haircuts were "scandalous" to the reichwing of the KKKRepublican Partei and bHUSSEINobama's an uppitylitist. So, in an attempt to assuage the fears of Joe Six-Pack (no relation to Tupac Shakur--I can assure you) and Joe DePlumber that their candidate for the Vice Presiduncy is out of touch with the "common man" the GOP decides that it's not a good thing that Sarah Palin is a bit couture challenged, while Cindy McCain looks like a runway model (now I didn't say she had done a Kate Moss and become a junkie, did I? Prove it, I dare ya!). So, they sent a note to Mrs. McCain (2) to tone down her appearance and leave the pearls in the dresser drawer (right next to her "Lady Glock" Model 26, 9mm semi-auto--and to start wearing one of these (http://www.zazzle.com/pink_gun_lady_glock_shirt-235151653112786202). They did that, right? Oh, nos!!, they didn't. Instead, they sent Sarah to the clothing department at Neiman Marcus and Saks where she spent about $125K on a few nice things. Well, once she was Sarah, "Plain and simple"; now? She's still simple, but not so plain. No word on whether she got a few goodies from Victoria's State Secrets. In the same account where Sarah's clothing bill was discussed (http://www.usnews.com/articles/news/2008/10/22/blog-buzz-sarah-palins-150000-rnc-shopping-spree-barack-obama-and-john-mccain-release-dueling-robocalls-al-qaeda-website-endorses-mccain.html) there was word the RNC also shelled out over $8,000 for John McCain's makeup artist (those necrocosmetologists do not work on the cheap--I'm sure the DorkLordCheney loaned McStain his rolodex for that one). It would appear that "lipstick on a pig" has gotten somewhat expensive. Okay, so you know what I meant, right? You know that I was dissing the "Cariboob™©®" and not the Extinguished Senaturd from Aritwilightzone? Yeah, so, sue me. Hey, I'm not even a republican and I wear plain cloth coats and pants and hats. They may be a little threadbare and frayed around the edges but I'm an American (cue patriotic music and flag waving--from a cruciform flagpole--over amber fields of grain, covering nu-Q-lar missile silos) and damn it, I have smallminded values just like Sarah and JohnnyPOW's supporters.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well, screw her After all, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. Can Bible Spice say that?

sharon said...

Ye gods! If that's what MCain looks like with $8K worth of makeup, I hope to high heaven I never have to see him without makeup on.

And what's up with the Neiman's spending spree taking place up north in Minneapolis and St. Louis? What, the Mother Ship Neiman's in Dallas isn't good enough for Caribou Barbie?

I do understand the part about donating it to charity, though. Can you imagine how much Palin's used clothing and underwear will go for on the transvestite and drag queen market? The Red Cross won't have to hold another bake sale for decades.

sharon said...

{off topic} Would McPalin be running such a dirty low-down campaign if they knew that Rove had the fix in? The rethugs have got voter suppression down to an art, and they own the electronic voting machines. So why not tone down the campaign and act human? Is the nasty campaigning just a smoke screen for the Real dirty tricks?

Paranoid? Who? Me?

Richard said...

I got into a little spat at church tonight. I was talking to a friend and we were laughing a ridiculing the $150,000 Palin spent on clothes, laughing at McCains reaction to the story today which was, and I quote, "She needed some clothes." This other woman wondered why we thought it was a big deal. I told her it's a big deal because McCain and the right wing press has been trying to paint Obama as an elitist for the past six months so for them to make that claim and then go out and spend on clothes in a month an amount which, as I told my daughter when she asked me just how much $150,000 is, roughly approximates the current value of MY HOUSE (not what we paid for it, it's current value) strikes me as the height (or depth) of hypocrisy. She said both sides are guilty of hypocrisy. I asked her to provide an example of hypocrisy from the Obama side and I'd be happy to discuss it with her. She walked away.

Anonymous said...

Kind of funny how the $250K-shopping-spree story breaks in the same week that Palin says at a rally that she's pround to be a Redneck Woman. That song by Gretchen Wilson, who was performing at the rally, boats about looking hot in clothes bought at Wal-Mart.

I say "kind of" funny because, unlike Elvis C., I'm a lot more disgusted than amused that a vice-presidential candidate wants to be identified with the term "redneck." The quote:

"Someone once called me a redneck woman. I said, Why thank you!"

Now just imagine a certain Democratic presidential nominee saying, "Someone once called me a gang-banger. I said, Why thank you! I can't wait to tell my niggaz about this!"

Yeah, I know, "redneck" and nigga" are ironic, defiant terms of endearment to some people (usually not the same people). But they're guaranteed to inflame a lot more people. Vocabulary lesson:

Like the n-word, "redneck" has a long, sordid history, and that affectionate usage of it isn't the standard one.

From the Random House Unabridged Dictionary:
red⋅neck
   /ˈrɛdˌnɛk/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [red-nek]
Informal: Often Disparaging.
–noun
1. an uneducated white farm laborer, esp. from the South.
2. a bigot or reactionary, esp. from the rural working class.
–adjective
3. Also, red-necked. narrow, prejudiced, or reactionary: a redneck attitude.

From the American Heritage Dictionary:
red·neck (rěd'něk') Pronunciation Key
n. Offensive Slang
1. Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2. A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

And while it's a limited sample, every African-American I've ever heard use the word has used it in the context of "bigoted and ignorant white person."

I wish Palin's redneck remark was getting as much coverage as her $150K dressup. But I'm guessing a lot of people have already stopped paying attention to what comes out of her mouth.

ranjit

democommie said...

Sharon:

The problem for Roveco is they can only fix just so many states and in this particular election it appears that there are too many states in flux for them to deal with. I put nothing past those fucking sleazebags, though.

Dave von Ebers:

I used to have some nice red rock'n'roll boots about 35 years ago. They definitely drew some stares and comments about my sexuality--it was too funny.

Richard:

That's the best way to deal with folks like that. I have to resist telling them they're fucking morons. I'm not always able to.

Ranjit:

It really isn't about the money, it's about the absolute inability of those idiots to even perceive that what they're doing is wrong. Evil is bad, evil and too stupid to even know it is very,very bad.

On a lighter note, Tony Joe's Swingtet is down at Pat's tonight. I can prolly only stay for one, but I'll let you buy the first round!