Followers

Friday, December 14, 2012

20 children, six adults is NOT a fucking statistical anomoly

Dave von Ebers put a post up earlier today about the massacere of 20 school children and six adults at a Connecticut elementary school (http://davescornertavern.blogspot.com/2012/12/no-words.html?showComment=1355525958231#c6558721610714820688).
 
My neice and her family are near the town in which the shootings took place, they are all physically okay--for that I'm grateful. But the gratitude is lodged in a very small corner of my heart which is otherwise filled with rage.
 
My comment at Dave's blog
___________________________
 
 
Dave:

I got rage. I got rage against the NRA and their toadies. I got rage against the idiots who prate on and on about their sacred 2nd and the RIGHT that shall not be abridged. I got rage against a congress and dozens of state legislatures who are too cowardly, too greedy for the lobbying dollars, too wedded to the idea that being elected is more important than doing their fucking JOB--to provide for the common good. I got rage for people who lie and say that gunz will make you safer. What I don't got is a magic wand, beans, potion or anything else that will right a wrong, raise the dead, unmake a horrible crime against society.

The truth is that I don't WANT anything magical. I want people to take an interest in the conduct of their government and take responsibility for their actions and the actions of those people that they help to elect.

I don't want the impossible. I want the possible, and I want it now.

I'm an atheist but if I believed in GOD, I would beg a curse from him, upon the heads of the NRA, to afflict them with the fear, pain and sense of loss that their irresponsible jingoism has brought into a Connecticut classroom.

Wayne LaPierre is likely to be sitting at a posh dinner table tonight, having some nice food and wine, maybe smoking a good cigar. I hope that reprehensible piece of shit is fully aware at some point in his life, and has time to ponder it fully before he dies, that everything he has is purchased with the blood of the innocents.

The obscenity that is the murder of 20 young children and six adults in a Connecticut school is not, as so many gunzloonz like to say about the increasingly frequent mass shootings in this country, statistically insignificant. It is truly an abomination, one made possible by the propagandizing of the NRA, a whore to the firearms industry and a congress that for far too long has ignored the problem inherent in having no coherent federal firearms policies.

The cowards who demonize those of us who call for safe and sane use of firearms, including regulating them, will, I am quite sure, not be out bragging about boxing the ears of the anti's tonight. No, they'll skulk at their keyboards for a day or two until Weenie LaPutrid gives them some fresh red meat and then continue on the road to Armageddon.

If I had prayers for the innocent I would offer them. But all I've got is the rage.

8 comments:

Flying Junior said...

What is the interplay between self-fulfilling prophesy and never-say-die political indoctrination as proposed by the NRA and so eagerly lapped up by the intellectually idle gun culture?

Why does something horrible have to happen just because so many millions insist that it remain possible just to preserve their so-called second amendment rights? What is the relationship between the sociopath and his fiercely moral gun-owner counterparts? Why in the name of God would they defend his right to purchase assault weapons? Or even more stupidly, suggest that grade-school teachers carry guns on their person to prevent future tragedies?

I guess the AWB proposed by Bush 41 and enacted under Clinton really didn't have enough time to really make much of a difference. Private gun sales? Maybe we could institute another ban on the manufacture of such weapons and back it up with some teeth. Recall the existing weapons for fair compensation. Make sure that guns are only in the hands of criminals. I mean, who would you trust? At least ordinary robbers and drug dealers value their own lives. Let's start thinking clearly.

Bukko Boomeranger said...

You know that bastards like LaPierre don't give a shit about humans, right? They're sociopaths. No empathy. We're all just insects to them. If a bunch of us get killed by gunz, it's like you might feel if a salt truck spilled its load near a field full of slugs. The slimy kind, not the bullet-y kind. Only, you might have a BIT of feeling for the slugs. LaPierre doesn't have any for the kidz.

Flying Junior said...

Anyway, that's my big comment tonight. As far as what you said...

No! It doesn't have to be that way. And, No! There is no need to legally manufacture assault weapons, let alone sell them to our own citizens, in the United States of America.

Personally, I am against the manufacture and sale of weapons in general. If some fucking oil-based economy or other despotic regime that hoards all the resources from its own people can afford to buy weapons, but has not the wherewithall to make them on their own....

What the fuck kind of asshole state would condone selling weapons to other nations??

That's just fucking sick! Why do we need to promote death for profit?

Unknown said...

I share your rage. Last night when I learned about I was affected in a way I'm usually not with these all-too-frequent stories. i guess it was the kids and the numbers.

I blame the gun-rights movement and everyone who supports it.

democommie said...

My apologies to all of you for not getting to these sooner.

I was over mikeb's a little after noon and it's the usual gunzloonz assault on intelligence.

I sometimes think I should remove moderation so that comments like these can get up there as they come in but then I remember that if there's a post like this one up it will be inundated by the gunzloonz gospel of wrongheadedness.

I watched a brief press conference around 10:00 AM, while at a friend's house and it was maddening to listen to the Connecticut SP spokesman imploring the press to respect the families' privacy. It shouldn't need to be requested, of the press, that they show a little empathy and human decency. And, if they aren't decent enough to do that, fuck 'em; let the families know that they may have them arrested for criminal trespass if they refuse to leave the property or, simply wait until the cameras are rolling and tell them that they're fucking ghouls.

dog gone said...

People are not statistics. People who have been murdered are not an anomaly.

Once again, the gun nuts try to dehumanize and distance themselves from the reality of human beings destroyed by gun violence.

To hide and deny, distract and avoid, and when necessary outright lie is their way of coping with their guilt and shame.

Rubbing their noses in the humanity of people killed and tacking it firmly to their door, and if necessary, to their forehead, is required.

Dave said...

Hey, Demo,

Thanks for linking to my piece and thanks for your comment. Apologies for not responding earlier; this whole horrible thing has just left me numb.

D

democommie said...

Dave:

I would be numb, too, if I had any kids of my own. As it is, all I've got are childish fucking gunzloonz to deal with.

Keep on keepin' on, my friend.